What is a knowledge organiser?
A knowledge organiser is a unit of learning, containing key knowledge and information that children need to know to have developing understanding of a concept in a subject. We refer to the knowledge as being “Sticky knowledge” as the children are expected to remember and recall key facts in all areas of the curriculum as they continue their learning journey through school.
Our knowledge organisers will include:
- Essential knowledge about a concept, usually laid out in easily digestible chunks.
- What the children will have learnt in the previous year linked to this concept (prior learning).
- Key vocabulary or technical terms.
- An enquiry question to support the learning of Sticky knowledge.
- Cultural capital opportunities for every unit. (Identifying how this learning fits into wider opportunities).